Creative Thinking Project 2 (Build)

IMG_1381

IMG_1382

IMG_1383

IMG_1384

IMG_1385

IMG_1386

IMG_1381

The fountain pillar with all the levels attached, sitting in the acrylic base, on top of the white box. I caulked the outer box to ensure no leakage, as this holds the vast majority of water. The caulk takes about a week or so to fully cure, so I am playing the waiting game until I can test the fountain. Along with rough pictures depicting the wiring inside the base and just general pics of the base.

IMG_1379

I did a great deal of research in attempts to find a good fogger with a fair price. I ended up purchasing the “Fuloon 12 LED Fountain Mist Maker Light Mister Foggers with AC Adapter Automatic Color Pattern Change”. This turned out to be better than I ever expected, initially I thought I was going to have to rig all the lights myself, but the fact that this cycles through the colors I needed was phenomenal. After spending countless hours and nights reading through Customer reviews, I am extremely pleased with the decision.

IMG_1378

In a past project I utilized a “RYOBI” tile pump, it is cheaper, and more durable than an actual fountain pump. I think that this works excellent for what I need. It has the power to push the water up the 24 inches it needs to with ease, and has an elegant sort of design to it. Also the pump has a setting of power so I can adjust it perfectly to the needs of my design.

IMG_1369

IMG_1368

IMG_1367

Here I have all the levels attached and lit up! I didn’t want to have each level full lit. I wanted to show a story about the progression of the light as well. I designed the light to be farthest from the water drop hole (where the water flows from one base to another) on the top level[red]. Then the light half way of the second level[yellow] and closest (actually illuminating the hole in the final level[blue]. I was in for a beautiful surprise when I first lit the piece though! Something wonderful and unexpected happened on the middle base[yellow]. The yellow middle base is lit in the middle, leaving both sides partially unlit (in theory). But due to the refracting/bouncing of light, the sides of the middle pieces takes in light from the other LEDs. In short, the middle remains yellow, but one side is slightly red, and the other side slightly blue. For me this happy accident was a beautiful wonder to behold.

 

IMG_1366

IMG_1365

IMG_1363

IMG_1364

Here I have the rectangle base built, which is clear, with 2 of the levels set in. It took a long to get to this point. To connect the pieces, I used a little dab of both “insta-cure” and Insta-set” in order to hold the pieces together in there place. Then to secure them together fully, I used “Testors 3507” which would chemically bond the acrylic pieces together. This made for watertight seals, without having to use caulk. (although I did use Caulk on the large bottom base as a sort of backup protector. The LED strips are in place here, but not wired up together. In the pictures you can clearly see the surface difference between the level pieces and the holding structure.

 

 

IMG_1358

IMG_1359

 

 

IMG_1354

After cutting all the pieces, they were all crystal clear, and I left most of them this way. But for the three levels of the fountain, I did three separate sanding coats on them. First and last layer with 800 grit, with a 500 Grit in between. This was done to help the LED light show more vibrant.

IMG_1352

 

 

IMG_1350

IMG_1349

I chose to not solder the LED strips myself, because I didn’t want to risk the connections breaking due to my poor soldering skill. SO I purchased “Hitlights no solder snap conectors” these too proved to be great ways to keep water out. To ensure no water getting in contact with the wires, I heat shrink tube wrapped them.

IMG_1353

I have purchased three “five meter wheel strands of LEDs” in the primary colors: Blue, Red, and Yellow. These will be what light up the three base level platforms of the fountain. The LEDs are produced by a company, “Hitlights” and are waterproof. I have worked with these particular LED strands in the past so I know they are strong and reliable.

 

IMG_1336

IMG_1335

IMG_1337

IMG_1338

The above four pictures are of the fogger I had purchased working in action. This is only a small variety of lights that it produces. The fogger runs a course of going through both primary and secondary colors. This is the main “hiding” feature that will be used in the design, it will fill up the large rectangle base structure.

IMG_1346

Here I have built the base platform of the fountain, it was made out of wood, and will be painted white. I plan to house a majority of the wires and electrical equipment underneath this platform. Not the machines themselves, only part of the cords. I want the machines themselves to be proudly on display.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: