So in the previous post, you can see the first model. The caulk in the fountains base has finally cured after a week, and I was able to test everything, from the base holding water, to the actual fountain working. I was both nervous and excited to do this. I was pleased with how this first model ended up looking, although there were a few hiccups along the road. I planned on using this for my final. But after running the fountain for the fist time, it was a successful product, but far from perfect, and there were things that I could do to fix it and make it run more efficiently. I reviewed some of our past lectures and while going through came across the PowerPoint that discussed “How to stay creative”. I was really struck by “Be Self-Motivated” part though, because I was really self-motivated for this project in the beginning, but after a long time and running into some obstacles, I got a little bogged down and was doing it to make sure it got done. But after realizing I didn’t want to do it to just get done, and rather truly solve the problem and create something that I was really proud of and this really got me excited about the project again. I utilized some of the creative thing methods we have been taught in class to come at the problem in a different way. In the video(s) you can see that the fog does not travel up like I had anticipated, and I thought there was going to be no way to fix this problem. I kept trying to come at the problem at different angles in order to discover a way to have the fog rise, I looked at narrowing the pillar piece, to shortening, etc. just a bunch of ways that would alter the design of the whole project thus far, and that was something I really did not want to do. Then it really hit me, looking at it in different angles, literally! I decided to see if I had the fogger raised, would the smoke stay in place or would it hopefully fall down the sides and encase the pillar? I ran some tests with great success, the fog would roll down the sides, and the entire inside pillar would fill up with smoke, much like I had imagined. I played around with some ideas of how to get the fogger itself up there with water, I initially thought of having a smaller pillar inside but decided that would not look that well aesthetically So went with a cradle design that attaches to the top of the pillar. I plan to re-laser cut and build the entire fountain. I want it to be exactly how I envisioned it, and I think this second time, I have worked out all the bugs and it will operate how I anticipated it.
Above are the pictures of the finished base of the fountain, I thought it would be a cool idea to have the cords go through the base, but it turned out to be one of the downfalls. These were the only places that leaked water. In the next ideation, I will not have this little cord escape, instead, I will be having the cord go up and around the acrylic in an interesting pattern.
Here we have both the fogger and the pump inside the pillar, along with the water tube that goes all the way to the top of the pillar.
UNFORTUNATELY AT THIS TIME I AM UNABLE TO UPLOAD VIDEOS OF THE FOUNTAIN RUNNING. I AM TRYING TO FIGURE THIS PROBLEM OUT.
The Problem with the original fountain was that the holes in the three layers were not wide enough and in turn did not allow enough water to flow through. This build up of water caused it to in some areas overflow the layer. In an attempt to combat these problem, the walls of each base will be extended from half an inch to an inch, along with the hole widen slightly. I just used basic problem solving skills in order to fix the problems at hand. And as discussed earlier the fog was only taking up about five inches of the twenty-two inch fountain pillar. I came up with a floating cradle/swing concept towards the top of the pillar for the fogger that I hope fixes this problem