Creative Thinking Project 2 (Re-design In-depth)

For this final product, there were a lot of kinks to work out, but against the odds and through persistence I was able to fix all the problems and make a wonderful fountain. I redesigned how the square pillar was constructed in order to make it a perfect six-inch square. To fix the water from overflowing, I did some calculations to determine how much water was being pumped up and how much water was flowing through the holes in the platforms. From these calculations I was able to determine how much wider to make the holes to allow for more water to flow through, and still have the same result of the hollow stream. Just to be safe I raised the walls on the platform from half an inch to an inch, this ensured to overflow. To combat the problem of keeping the platforms level, I extend the arm pieces so they could fit into pillar and designed supports to help keep everything even and therefore level. I redesign the top of the fountain so that it was on a slant to allow for the water to flow easily onto the first platform. The white wooden base that I originally built turned out to not be tall enough to house all the electrical components, so I built a new platform tall enough to house all the wires, cords, and batteries. Then came the problems with the fogger.

The tricky part to solve was how to get the fog to rise. That was my problem. I kept thinking and devising obscure and impractical ways to lift the fog up or push the fog higher. I even toyed around with the idea of having multiple foggers, which would have been highly illogical. Then after thinking of all these absurd ways to get the mist to rise, I decided to see how well the fog would fall instead. So I quickly put together a contraption that would allow for the fog to fall over the sides of a box and saw how well the mist rolled over and fell down the sides. I then built another contraption to do this same experiment but inside the fountain. The fogger at this point was close to the top of the fountain, and when it was running it worked perfectly, giving the appearance of the pillar filled with mist. I went on to build a small floating carriage piece that attached to the top of the fountain, This piece had to be big enough to hold the fogger, and enough water so that the fogger could run, but be short enough to allow the fog to fall down the sides. After quite a bit of trial and error I landed on a design and proportion that worked without flaw. Then I ran into my next problem. The fogger needs a certain amount of water at all times in order for it to continue producing fog. The problem with this hanging carriage design was that it was high in the air and no way to keep enough water in there to keep the machine working for more than thirty seconds. To fix this problem all I needed to do was attached a “T” pipe splitter onto the hose that ran the water to the top of the fountain. With this splitter, a new tube can be added to let water flow and constantly fill up the hanging carriage with the fogger, so that the fogger will not run out of water.

After taking the time to solve these problems, I then went on to re-cut and re-build the entire fountain. It was definitely worth it to re-visit the first design to create a more fluid working mechanism.

(Pictures and videos to come!)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: